Jenny's Running Blog

Friday, September 22, 2006

Week 3, Day 5

Phew that was hard today. So after my half-hearted rest day yesterday (spent the whole day wanting to go for a run!) I headed out pretty eagerly this morning. Once at the gym then things kind of conspired against me to make my run a bad one. First off someone was on my favourite treadmill :-( I picked a different one and started my warm-up but then noticed the Ryder Cup was on so I changed to my second treadmill 5 minutes into my warm-up so as to get a better view. However, I started to feel really hot and I figured out it was because I had a light hanging right above me, so 5 minutes into my run I switched to my third and final treadmill. This totally confused me on my run/walk times but I managed to get it right in the end.

Then my damn t-shirt kept riding up. God that drives me nuts! I'm 5 foot 9" tall and sometimes it seems impossible to get a t-shirt that's actually long enough for my body. My latest t-shirt just seems to like to jump up and sit on my hips like it's saying "hey everyone, look at this girl's belly!". I spent all my running segments regularly pulling the damn thing back down.

Finally, all of these distractions meant I didn't concentrate on my running form and breathing enough. It seems like if I don't concentrate on it, I don't take deep enough breaths and I end up finding myself out of breath quicker. My form wasn't too bad I think but my hips were hurting like hell at the start. I've only had this since about the weekend I think. It's like when I start running it just feels like I'm getting metal rods beaten against my hip bones every time my feet hit the treadmill. They've actually been aching whilst I'm not running too. Oh and my ankles were hurting a few days ago too... and did I mention that my knees feel weaker! I'm guessing this is all just my joints getting used to the pounding that running will give them. I'm figuring it will get better.

Good thing is that my stats are up again though. Despite all my problems I pushed hard on my running segments - up to 8 km/h throughout now.

Stats:
Distance - 2.10 miles
Avg Speed - 4.20 mph
Min/Mile Pace - 14.28
Distance so far this week - 8.21 miles
Hours so far this week - 2.00

2 Comments:

  • Who says treadmill running is boring. I think when you first start running, your musculoskeletal fitness (i.e. strong ligaments, muscles, bones) lags behind your aerobic fitness. So, keep taking it easy and building up slowly. Just because you CAN run farther and faster doesn't always mean you should. :)

    Oh, btw, US is going to kick Europe's butt in the Ryder cup (I hope)!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:50 PM  

  • lol! thanks vic. i think you're definitely right about the running but you're sooo wrong about the golf!

    By Blogger Jenny, at 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home