Jenny's Running Blog

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Week 3, Day 6 - Rest Day :-(

I'm taking another rest day today. I'm not very happy about it really but I've got quite bad knee and hip pain this morning so I'm going to give it a rest. It's wierd because it's just my left leg really, although both of my knees were bad last night. The worst pain is when I first start running on the treadmill - the agony of it makes me run with a pretty wierd posture like I'm trying to run without using my legs too much!

I read a post on the Runner's World forum about joint pain in beginners and I remember one person commented "too far, too fast, too soon" as being the cause. Well I am certain that "too fast" couldn't be applied to anything I'm doing on the treadmill and 2 miles ain't exactly a marathon. "Too soon"? I don't think so - I've been hanging out at the gym for a few months before starting this programme - mostly propping up the water cooler but it all counts right ;-) I figure maybe my minimalist approach to rest days could be part of the problem, and I also only have one pair of running shoes which I use every day. I dunno. I'm sure it will be gone tomorrow and I'll be back out there.

2 Comments:

  • I doubt only having one pair of is the prob. It may, however, be the shoes. Dit you get fitted and "inspected" at a running store or just a general sporting goods store?

    Rest is a good thing. Don't worry. You'll figure out what's ailing you.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:06 AM  

  • Thanks Vic. I didn't get them at a running store but I did do the wet foot test to figure out which ones I need and I bought a good make - they're New Balance. Perhaps I've got the wrong type though?

    By Blogger Jenny, at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home