Jenny's Running Blog

Monday, August 27, 2007

In my Dreams I'm a Good Runner


Ow. I moved on to week two of my running programme today and it hurt. I ran 3 at 7kmh and walked 3 at 5kmh for 30 minutes. I didn't have to look at this chart of my heart rate to know that I was working too hard. I was reading my Garmin's manual yesterday and it turns out that I should be aiming for zone three, I previously thought it was zone four. As you'll see from my stats I spent 17 minutes of my 30 minute work out in zones four and five!!

But the question is, what do I do? Should I go back to week one of my programme for the rest of this week? I could slow down my running sections to 6.5kmh but 7 is already so slow... I think I could walk at 6.5! I could slow down my walking sections? Last time around I walked at 4.5kmh rather than 5 as I am now. I really don't know what to do except that it's not what I did today!

In other news, I dreamt about running last night. It was a really good dream and I woke up feeling more determined than ever to become good at running. I was back in the village where I grew up with this girl from work who is a good runner. It was a crisp autumn/winter day and we were running in the fields around the village that I used to play in as a kid. It felt so good to be able to run fast and to be sucking in all this cool fresh air. I want to be able to do that! Incidentally we were on some crazy life or death mission - the theme of most of my dreams!

That's it. Happy Monday everyone! It's the last public holiday before Christmas over here in England!! God what a depressing thought. I'm off to plan a holiday!

2 Comments:

  • Jenny! It's so good to have you back.

    Looks like you got a bit out of shape over the last 4 months since we've been blogging. This is normal. I'd suggest that you start up again using a basic RUN/WALK program for the next 9 weeks to get your body conditioned to running again and don't pay any attention to the HR monitor.

    You are right, you were working very hard to keep moving at 15/mi pace. But, you're still a runner (dreaming of running tells me that you are hard-core). However, I don't want to see you hurting yourself by trying too much too soon. I'd suggest the Couch to 5K program from Cool Running.

    This program will get you running again in no time, injury free. After you're running 3 miles without a problem, we can start working on conditioning with HR zones.

    Good luck.

    By Blogger Phil, at 10:45 AM  

  • Phil!!

    Thank you for not giving up on me! I feel very optimistic that this time I might manage to make this exercise thing stick!

    Great advice as always. My horrendous heart rate is a bit off-putting so I think it's a good call to suggest I just ignore it for the moment... although, I'd be interested to hear what you think about today's run (not yet posted). I'll check out the couch to 5k programme - I remember looking at it before and for some reason not being sure about it. I'll get back to you on this.

    By Blogger Jenny, at 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home