Jenny's Running Blog

Monday, September 25, 2006

Week 4, Day 1 - Isn't This Meant To Get Easier?

Really, please tell me it gets easier than this! Today was a bit hard. As it's the start of week 4 I moved onto the run 7 walk 3 pattern, and as I wasn't very enthusiastic this morning I knocked the speed back down to 7.5 kmph, but dammit those 7 minute runs seemed hard. The end result? 2.08 miles. That's less than the last few times I've been running, all of which seemed easier. Grrr. I think part of it is mental - 7 minutes seems like such a long time when you're just pressing the button to increase the speed. Also, because of my delicate early morning mental state I was watching more golf (didn't I tell you we were gonna thrash you Vic!) and the breakfast news instead of listening to music which probably isn't the best motivation. Hopefully a better run tomorrow.

Lesson learnt from running - I can see the point of sweat bands now! Here was me thinking they were just about fashion...







Stats:

Total Distance - 2.08 miles
Avg Speed - 4.15 mph
Min/Mile Pace - 14.46
Hours so far this week - 0.30
Miles so far this week - 2.08

6 Comments:

  • Whew!!! Thrashing is right! I'm so embarassed.

    In every training program, there seems to be a week where it the jump just seems HUGE!! Hang in there. Keep it slow. When I was doing run/walk program, I even repeated some weeks and extended the program from 10 to 12 weeks. Do your week of 7's. If by the end, you don't feel like you're ready to move on, don't rush it. Just do another week of 7's and then move on.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:31 PM  

  • Thanks Vic, that's great advice. I'm still in awe of your 10 mile run - I just can't imagine ever getting to that point at the moment!

    By Blogger Jenny, at 5:06 PM  

  • Awe is too much. I started right where you are. Well, I started about 200+ lbs above where you are. Actually, I mean I started out running 1 minute, walking one minute x 10 and just stuck with it and progressed. Most AOR victims (Adult Onset Running) started out that way. You're doing fine. Keep it up.

    Oh, by the way, did you know I weigh over 300 lbs.? I've lost about 70 lbs. since I started running and have about 100 more to go. :o)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:35 PM  

  • Vic and I have many things in common. One common factor being 70 pounds of weight loss. I have many, many more to go. Together we have lost the total weight of Jon Yoder. :-)

    I'm the master of sweat. I’ve learned to view it as validation for a hard days run. You’re lucky being a female. Reason: My wife reminds me that women don't sweat, they glisten.

    By Blogger Humble Runner, at 10:46 PM  

  • Bill's my hero.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:57 PM  

  • You guys are amazing! 70 pounds is so much weight! It's good to hear that you were just as bad as me when you started out running, I'd love to be as good as you guys are so you're officially my motivation now. Thanks for the support!

    By Blogger Jenny, at 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home