Jenny's Running Blog

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Week 4, Day 6 - I Ran Outside!

I'm writing this post in green in honour of my first run in the great outdoors! And get this, not only did I run outside today but I did so in the last hour of daylight in the day! This is seriously unusual for a committed morning runner like me.

Well the run was beset by problems but overall really turned out quite well - stats are surprising as I definitely could have done better. First problem was that I just had such bad stitches, in my stomach. I think I'd had too much to drink before heading out, it was just awful - I had them before I even started running! That caused problems at the start but about ten minutes in they pretty much went.

I planned the route on MapMyRun.com - it was 5km with about half of the way being along the canal and the other half being roadside and through the racecourse. I was very nervous as I thought I'd probably come away totally disheartened - I've heard so many stories of treadmill runners who find running outside infinitely harder. The canal section started out fine for the first half but then we hit the bit that has no pavement. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't rained quite a lot recently - it was a quagmire! The track was very narrow and overgrown and had been turned into a muddy bog by the recent rain. We had to stop running quite a few times to negotiate particularly bad sections where we were slipping around in the mud. However, we cleared that bit and then were out onto the road. My knees started to hurt quite a bit at this point but we pressed on. Fatigue was setting in quite badly and I was finding it hard to run. It was at this point that the final and most serious problem kicked in... I REALLY needed the bathroom! Que short cut home - ran 4.62km instead of the planned 5... and those desperate last 10 minutes were a walk rather than a run! How embarrasing! But overall, I did a lot better than I expected. I definitely could have done so much better had I not had the stitches/mud/... other problem!


Stats:
Distance - 4.62 km/ 2.87 miles
Time - 40:01
Avg Speed - 6.93 kmph / 4.30 mph
Min/Mile Pace - 13.94
Hours so far this week - 02:10:01
Distance so far this week - 9.44 miles

3 Comments:

  • Jen, you are doing great. I hope you enjoyed running outside.

    Not embarrassing at all. You did almost 3 miles in 40 minutes. And you're only 4 weeks into your running program. You are doing awesome.

    Keep up the good work and take care of those knees.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:15 PM  

  • oh, hey, next time you map your run, share it with us. I'd like to see where you're running.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:16 PM  

  • Thanks for the encouragement :-)

    By Blogger Jenny, at 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home