Jenny's Running Blog

Sunday, April 01, 2007

This is between me and the pie

I'm sat here eating a toffee tart (see illustration) and thinking about how to go about getting fit. We're going to ignore the toffee tart for the moment and think about the question. The problem is that I'm unfit - fact. Really, really, really unfit. So unfit that I often wonder whether I'm actually suffering from pulmonary heart disease, or heart failure or something. I get really breathless after even the slightest exertion. In fact, I get breathless just talking sometimes. I'm not obese, I'm not even overweight, I'm just really unfit.

I'm also not stupid, I know this is really serious. I don't know how/why I've ended up this way (why am I so much unfitter than every other person who hardly ever exercises?) but it's irrelevant really, the point is I need to get fitter. At the moment I regularly think about how awful my life will be in 20 years if I continue along the same path I'm currently on (seriously, we'll leave the cakes out for the moment! This is just about the exercise).

But it's kind of easier said than done isn't it. This won't be the first time... So as I set out again to try to whip my flabby disgrace of a heart into shape I'm going to try to figure out what to do to make this new healthier way of life stick. MMmmm lovely toffee tart...

2 Comments:

  • About 15 years ago, a good (older!) friend, John, told me what his doctor had told him as he went in to have his cruciate knee ligament sorted out from an old skiing accident. He said "the sins of your teens and twenties come back to visit you in your thirties and forties".

    Our opinion at the time, was to get on with sinning, and by this we meant "living" - in John's case this was skiing and hill walking. Looking back, I wish I'd had the foresight to exercise and sin then, so by the time things started going wobbly at around 32ish - I like toffee pie too - I had something to offset the onset.

    So, if I can advise on anything, and I don't claim any sort of track record, I'd say get yourself fit now as this is the key to an extended sin. And sin in moderation.

    Mr Stumble.

    By Blogger The Evernoter, at 11:21 PM  

  • Jenny .. you've already taken the first step ... you've told us you want to get fit and you know we'll support you all the way.

    If possible, get a general physical. There could be something going on that a blood work-up would sort out.

    You know how to do the rest ... hold off on the tarts and start getting the body moving. That's about all there is to it. You don't want to do what I did and wait until your 48 to figure out that adding a couple of pounds a year adds up between 25 and 50.

    By Blogger Phil, at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home