Jenny's Running Blog

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Week 8, Day 3 - Glorious Return To Running Joy!

Hooray! I feel back up to par. I just had a great run. It was really hard but it's the first time in 12 days that I've come back from a run feeling good about my running! My theory is that the first day back after a break must be really hard - thus explaining my last two runs which each had quite a few 'rest' days before them. Today I did run 9,walk 1 and it went quite well. I ran at 8kmh for the first two lots of 9 then upped the speed through the last set to finish at 10kmh completely exhausted. I ran far too hard of course. I love running as fast as I can when I'm on the treadmill but then I end up dreading the next trip to the gym because I anticipate that it will be really hard. But I keep doing it!! For some reason I just find it easier to run faster - I'm thinking psychological here. It seems harder to run at a slower speed. When it got tough then I found myself thinking about the Chicago marathon RBF and in particular I remembered Zeke's report and how there was a spot that he found hard but he pushed through it and finished in such a great time. I just thought "even the best runners have tough moments, just get through it" and I did! It's only a shame that my tough moment was about 2 miles into a 2 and a half mile run instead of 22 miles into a 26.2 mile run! LOL

The treadmills were busy today which was fun. So often I go in there and there's not that many people on them and half of them are just walking. Today I had a runner on each side of me and three more further away. Oh course they all kicked my ass! Ahh well. Actually I say they all kicked my ass but I lasted the longest. The two on either side of me ran faster but they only ran for about 20 minutes. The ones further away also seemed to run faster but not for as long as me. There was one guy who ran faster than me, and he did also seem to run for 30 minutes... but my cool down was longer so I win! Haha! It does surprise me how few people seem to warm-up/cool-down/run for a decent length of time at my gym. I think that once I increase my distances I'm going to seem like some kind of elite runner compared to these 20 minute light-weights!

Now I've got one good run under my belt I can confess that I've been feeling quite concerned about my running recently. It all went wrong when I had that interview - I took a bit of time off before and then even more after. The more I didn't go running the more I felt I couldn't. Ultimately there really are no excuses though. There's always time in the day to squeeze in a run. Even when I was preparing for my interview it would have been worth taking an hour out to go and run because I would have come back feeling full of energy and enthusiasm again. I felt so depressed at the thought that all my hard work would end up being for nothing if I didn't continue running. Also I just couldn't stand the thought of going back to being even more unfit than I am now so I persisted but damn those two first-runs-back were hard though. I just don't want to take any more breaks like that because they're so hard to come back from. I can only imagine how hard it must be to come back to running after taking a serious length of time off rather than just a few days!

One odd aspect of my running drought was that I felt unable to post anything about it. I kind of feel a duty not to be negative on my blog because I know that when I love something, if I read something negative about that thing then it makes me feel really sad and I didn't really want to do that to you guys! I know it's great to share and I would have loved some advice and encouragement when I was having a hard time... actually maybe I should have said something. It's not like I was disillusioned with running itself I was just finding it hard going. Yes, I think from here on in I'm going to aim to blog about the black dog days as well as the good days. Look forward to more miserable, whinging posts!!

Stats:
Total Distance - 3.88kms /2.41 miles
Avg Speed - 7.76kph/ 4.82mph
Min/Mile Pace - 12.44
Hours so far this week - 1.00
Miles so far this week - 4.63

1 Comments:

  • Whine away, J. You said running was hard. You got that right, girl. It takes dedication and consistnecy. But that's what makes it rewarding to me.

    Keep up the good work.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home