Jenny's Running Blog

Monday, April 09, 2007

And then there was yoga!


In other non-cake related news, I've been doing yoga! Rather than stretching after my run today I drove straight home and did 30-45 minutes of yoga. Yesterday, I did well over an hour of it. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I love the idea of doing yoga and of being flexible and strong etc. but in the past when I've taken classes/used yoga dvds I've always found then either too hard or too slow and boring. For example, I don't really DO relaxing so 15 minutes on a dvd of breathing just does my head in!

So I bought this book - Ashtanga Yoga by David Swenson - which was recommended somewhere, and it's great. I can just do it at my own pace - so, for example, I can work through the sun salutations slowly focusing on my form instead of racing through them just trying to keep up with the dvd and wondering why the hell my legs don't go like that and why I just collapse onto the floor instead of gracefully moving from Plank into whatever-that-one-is-called-before-downward facing dog. I'm very happy about it.

Now if only my hamstrings would loosen up a bit...

1 Comments:

  • Yoga is a great idea. I've started self-taught yoga this year to contra-act the years of abuse I've suffered from not doing anything. It is the perfect compliment to running.

    Good to see you getting some miles in!

    By Blogger Phil, at 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home