Jenny's Running Blog

Friday, April 06, 2007

Cheddar Gorge!

Yesterday I finally broke sweat for the first time this week! Hooray! In fact it was the first time in... err... too long. Me and Mr JRB had the day off work to celebrate my birthday. My birthday isn't actually until next week but as Mr JRB is away on business then (as usual - NAB) we had a fake birthday for me yesterday. For some reason I didn't get a single present or card :-( Perhaps I might get some on the real birthday next week.

So we headed down to Somerset to a place called Cheddar Gorge - which is kind of like the English grand canyon... it's a lot smaller though! The weather was fantastic for this time of year - 20 degrees! The drive down was really pretty in places - we went through some lovely parts of Wiltshire. No pictures sadly (we are rubbish at taking photos!).

This is where we first stopped. That's my smart car at the front (crap car - highly UNrecommended). There were guys climbing up the rock face in the background. I've recently been quite keen on trying climbing but as I watched these guys climb I thought that perhaps it isn't really my cup of tea.


Unfortunately we took no pictures of the steep trek we took up to the top. It seemed neverending and I had to keep stopping to sit on logs to get my breath back. As usual Mr JRB made it look like it required about as much effort as sitting on the sofa. It took a little while but it was great to get my heart pumping! The path we took was a steep narrow path up through some woods that at times had old wooden steps dug into the mud.

Here's me at the top pondering life's big questions like - "Why are there so many calories in ice cream?" and "Where is the nearest Waitrose?". This side on shot is the only one I'm happy to post because in all the others I look as wide as a house. Damn you toffee tarts.

More views from the top. You can see the road down at the bottom of the gorge that we'd stopped along earlier.

Also forgot to take pictures of the trek down! Curses. Well here we are back down at the bottom anyway. That's Mr JRB.

This bit was really amazing. You can see some people climbing down the rocks near the bottom.

So that was it, a few hours and a few miles later we were all done. There are caves here too but the entrance fee was far too high so we didn't go in.

On the way home we stopped at a Somerset farm shop in Shipton near Cheddar and picked up some proper local cider! I don't do cider but Mr JRB loves it. We got 5 litres straight out of the barrel and headed home. It was a good day and it was great to get outside and get some exercise.

Planning to get back to the gym again from next week. Can't say I'm thrilled about it right now, hitting the treadmill at 6:30am isn't quite as fun as hiking up Cheddar Gorge on a sunny day! It's got to be done though, especially now that I've got so podgy :-(

I've got a great new incentive for getting fit. We've planning our summer holiday and currently our favourite idea is going RV-ing around California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada (maybe a quick stop in Colorado) - we're thinking it would be great to explore some of the National Parks. That means hiking, mountain biking, horse-riding, swimming, canoeing etc. - basically a tonne of stuff that I don't want to be too unfit to enjoy! Bring on the treadmill...

3 Comments:

  • Good for you for getting out and hiking the canyon. The photos are great.

    You've got pleny of time to get in shape. We'll be here urging you on.

    By Blogger Phil, at 7:08 PM  

  • Hey the photos are good. I went to Cheddar Gorge when I was a kid and I was beginning to think it just seemed big from a childs perspective, but actually it does look quite amazing. Not the sort of place you expect to find in the UK.

    Love the idea of your holiday. I was in California a couple of years ago and desperately want to go back in a camper van for a tour. Try and do Highway One along the coast south of SF if you get the chance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 PM  

  • Nice photos Jenny. Been a while since I've been to the gorge. Get that cider drunk quickly. It only increases in lethalness, the older it gets.

    If you want to tour the US coast to coast, have a look at the various Visit USA (VUSA) deals on air-fares and standby travel. When I did this a looong time ago, I had a 30 day standby pass with Delta that was just brilliant. You see a lot of ground in an RV but as the distances are huge you can be somewhat limited as to how far you can get.

    We saw NY, Boston, Burlington (home of Ben and Jerry's), Niagara, Devils Tower, Badlands, Salt Lake City, Yosemite (must go, 3 days!), Grand Canyon (must go and spend 3 days including a hike), Phoenix, Orlando theme parks, Silver Springs, New Orleans and Atlanta.

    You can only do that on a plane, we intend to fill the middle bit in on future visits!

    Oh - and good luck with getting back the the Gym!

    By Blogger The Evernoter, at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home