Jenny's Running Blog

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Week 1, Day 6 - Another emergency stop incident :-<


Check this out. Another day another run! Annoyingly interrupted at the half-way mark by the emergency stop tab falling off the machine and consequently me grinding to a angry stop! Got on with it and finished though. I ran at 7.5kmh in the first 10 mins, 8 in the second 10 mins and 9 in the final 10 mins and I continue to try to push up my walking speed in between. I'm still on run 2, walk 4 and will move up to run 3, walk 3 next week.

Incidentally, it occurred to me that I don't really know what I'm doing anymore. Should I be running hard in the running parts or taking it easy, and should I be walking hard or just recovering. I think I have a tendancy to push myself too hard because in the moment its quite enjoyable but it ends up filling me with dread the next time I face running because I anticipate it to be hard. I also end up running at a pace that I just couldn't possibly sustain for the whole 30 minutes and surely that's just not the point? Any pointers will be most gratefully received.

Stats -
Total Distance - 1.87 miles / 3.01 km
Avg Speed - 3.74 mph
Min/Mile Pace - 16.04
Miles so far this week - 5.58
Hours so far this week - 1:30

3 Comments:

  • I'd suggest you just run at a comfortable pace and then walk to recover. If you push yourself too hard you risk an injury - I know, that's exactly what happened to me.

    The goal here is to be able to run for a target period of time - concentrate on that as it is the core to running. When you get there, you can start to consider pace and greater distance but these are entirely unimportant at this stage.

    If you can get your machines to talk in old money, rather than metric, you might try that as the maths confuses us! 6mph = 10 minute miles. Easy!

    And don't worry about anyone else blasting along on their 'mill next door. They had to start somewhere too, and when you look out of the window, you can think how much better you are doing than the majority of those waddling past.

    This is just you vs the machine. And you are going to win eventually.

    By Blogger The Evernoter, at 7:04 PM  

  • At this point in your training, you need to build up your aerobic conditioning. The best way to do this is long slow runs. There is no great need to be pushing yourself too hard right now. Just get out there (or in there if you are using a treadmill) and keep running. Be sure to mix it up from work out to work out. If you're running four days a week. Try to get in a two 30 minute workouts, one hour work out and one somewhere inbetween. Once your comfortably running 25+ miles a week, we can start talking about other things to push up your LT and improve your overall speed.

    By Blogger Phil, at 7:01 AM  

  • you have some smart readers! (I mean those other guys.) Sounds like good advice to me!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home