Jenny's Running Blog

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Week 5, Day 6 - Day Off

No running today sadly. I was quite keen on getting in another run outside but it just didn't happen. I seem to be so busy at the moment whilst at the same time not actually getting anything done. I did manage to bake a cake today but even that didn't turn out too good... though it didn't turn out so bad that I couldn't eat it! And on that note: I think the greatest thing I've read so far about running is this from a Hal Higdon article on nutrition:

'You can eat (in fact, may need to eat) more total calories without worrying about weight gain. The average runner training for a half marathon and running 20 to 25 miles a week probably needs a daily caloric intake near 2,500 to maintain muscle glycogen stores. As your mileage climbs beyond that, you need to eat more and more food, not less. In all honesty, this is why a lot of runners run, and why they train for marathons. Their common motto is, "I love to eat."'

WOOHOOOOOOOO!!!

5 Comments:

  • Hi Jenny :-)

    eating is the best lol. glad you were able to eat some of the cake even if it didnt' turn out so good.

    you'll get your run in soon enough enjoy the rest of your day off

    By Blogger Neese, at 2:01 AM  

  • I burn bookoo calories in a week running. I think the little calculation I do said I burned almost 2700 calories just doing 12 miles this morning. So, I had ranch dressing on my salad tonight. :) WOOOOHOOOO!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:17 AM  

  • Marathon training and fad dieting don't go together. As you progress you'll be burning through 1000 to 2000 calories a day, so you'll quickly become more concerned with fueling up for the next day than avoiding food to loose a few more pounds. You'll also start craving carbohydrates. You'll need good carbs to replace all that glycogen your burnng through.

    Keep track of your weight over time. It will come down slowly as your general level of fitness improves. It's also important to figure out how to eat, keep yourself fueled and enjoy what your eating. It's all a matter of balance. My fridge is stocked with beer, there's always plenty of good wine in the house and I mix a mean martini ... but I also go out of my way to max out my carb intact during the day.

    I'd agree that we love to eat; but it isn't the reason most of us run. We run because it makes us feels so damn good!

    Have a great week running.

    By Blogger Phil, at 5:38 AM  

  • I know that between my running (shorter distances now) to keep up with my horses... i monitor the food intake according to day's activity. Now that we run a bed and breakfast in Big Sky Country Montana, I start each day with a shorter trail run and spend more of the day running after guests and with horses :)
    Bon appetit!

    By Blogger G.P., at 3:39 AM  

  • I'm glad everyone shares my love of food :-) Thanks for your comments!

    By Blogger Jenny, at 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home